Marriage Coaching vs CounselingWhat you believe about marriage today, will define your society tomorrow! — Unknown
What is best for us?
Couples often ask: coaching vs counseling, what’s the difference? Coaching focuses on the present and moving forward with coaches as facilitators. You will learn to better understand one another and discover solutions for your specific issues together. Coaches help couples move from where they are to where they want to be and recognize that each marriage is different. Coaches will not tell you what to do but will help you figure out what will work best for you as a couple. MarriageTeam’s proven intake process is a great way to determine if coaching is right for you. If coaching is not the right fit, we can provide various counseling/support resources to get your marriage relationship on track ASAP . Here is a comparison of coaching and counseling.
Coaching gives couples new tools and helps them apply those tools to achieve the marriage they want. Roughly 35% of couples who come to MarriageTeam considered divorce. An overwhelming majority (over 89%) decide not to divorce after completing coaching. Again, MarriageTeam routinely makes referrals to counselors if a situation is not “coachable.”
- Marriage Coaching creates a partnership between the coaches and the couples they coach. Coaches are experts on the process; couples are experts on their relationship and ultimately have the answers.
- Number of Sessions: 10-12 sessions.
- Session Length: 2 to 3 hours, varies according to the couple.
- Cost: About $16 per hour (estimated based on 2+ hr sessions).
Counseling as noted above is for couples who need more specialized help to address past hurts, mental health issues, or other behaviors that are beyond coaching. Sometimes focusing on understanding the past to create health in the present. Dr Steve Stephens, counselor, and author, has said that 70% of his clients could benefit from coaching and do not need a licensed counselor. So there is a significant overlap where coaching and counseling can help couples.
- There is a counselor-client relationship that tends to assume a medical model where the counselor has the answers.
- Number of Sessions: Varies widely, can be for an extended period.
- Session Length: Typically 50 minutes.
- Counseling runs approximately $75 to $150 per session; $90 to $180 per hour.
- Coaching runs less than $25/hour per couple, and sessions run 2 hrs+.